Sunday, October 15, 2006

Blog Buddy
My blog buddy from 13C is Kelly. This was an obvious choice because both of our topics are very similar.
Kelly's study: "How has the representation of transvestites changed throughout film and the media, with particular reference to 'Kinky Boots'?" This is from her proposal: "I am investigating how the representation of transvestites have changed in film and media. I chose to use 'Kinky Boots' as my text as it shows a transvestite and how he is now portrayed. This shows him to be a much exaggerated and theatrical character, as these features show that he seems to be very controlling in situations."
My study: "How is cross-dressing portrayed in modern cinema and television? With particular reference to "Breakfast on Pluto"."
Areas of Overlap:
  • Both to do with cross-dressing
  • We will both be looking at similar texts such as "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" (1994) and "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" (1995)
  • The Queer Theory is important to both studies
  • Both focusing on non-Hollywood texts (British/Irish)
  • Gender representation

What I've Learned from Kelly's Blog:

There's some really good links I didn't find such as this website on transvestism in film: http://www.glbtq.com/arts/transvestism_film,2.html which has some interesting information that could benefit my study. Also there is a link to the 'Cross-Dresser Movie Guide'. 'Kinky Boots' would also been a good other text for me to look at because the contrast between the portrayal of the cross-dressing in that film to 'Breakfast on Pluto' shows the different representations of cross-dressers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home