Monday, September 18, 2006

Historical Text: Some Like It Hot (1959)

(I finally found the clip I was looking for on YouTube and it has Spanish subtitles!)

Some Like It Hot

Director: Billy Wilder

Starring: Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon

Genre: Comedy/drama

Plot Outline: When two musicians witness a mob hit, they flee the state in an all female band disguised as women, but further complications set in.

"Some Like It Hot" portrays cross-dressing in a comedic way. As the above clip shows, these two men are not fully convincing as women. This links with a quote I found from "Cinema Studies: The Key Concepts" by Susan Hayward:

"...why is it that we must not be allowed to be completely duped by cross-dressing? …Why is it that male sexuality must not be completely repressed?”

I think that these are really interesting questions, which I hope to look into in more detail as my research progresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home